Saturday, July 26, 2008

You Know if You are an American IF.....

Since this is supposedly a form of flattery for Jeff Foxworthy, let me just say it. The cultural differences between Europe and America offer an opportunity to think about things from the perspective of "You know you're an American if..."

Here are some of the universals:
No matter how many signs and hinges and other symptoms exist, you seem to need to push at doors when you are inside a building heading to outside. (I feel like I am in the Gary Larson comic for the school for the gifted).

You keep looking for a yellow line in the middle of the road.

You expect a refill on the beverages -- at no charge.

You expect beer/wine to be more expensive than a glass of water.

You think that bicycle helmets might be a good idea, even if you are not wearing racing gear; and you think that they might even be a good idea for children.

You might want to eat outside even if you aren't smoking.

You find it an invasion of privacy to have your photo taken while driving, but not to be told whether to wear seatbelts.

You find it surprising that smoking is clearly a right, but GMO produce might be dangerous.

-----
I'll continue working on this...since this is clearly not a large list, and I keep seeing more signs that I am an American at every point.

For example, they aren't using side slings right now, so my sling marks me as an American (though my stroller and the baby bjorn do not!!!!).

Of course, I don't speak many languages, and that smacks of being an American.

No comments: