Monday, February 16, 2009

Observed sociological differences of Dutch and American kids

I wrote about Eileen's experience at a birthday party for a friend. A young boy (less than 3) kept trying to grab her from behind, wrestle, and eventually performed a WWF-style body slam before I gave up on him being capable of interacting with her without tears. At the time, I ascribed this to the fact that he had an older brother doing this to him. At this point, though, I am starting to see a pattern. Little boys here are allowed to be really pretty wild. They seem to be able to sustain that with not much malice - e.g. I haven't seen them being brutal with their pets. On the one hand, given that boys tend to have a higher energy level than girls, this is a pretty good idea, on the other, it means that I need to teach Eileen to be a little shy of the boys here.

Then, I noticed that even the girls here seem to want to treat her as a moving baby-doll. They keep trying to pick her up and make her do things. Happily, Eileen is quite capable of doing what she wants and ignoring intrusions. It does mean that I have to step between her and other kids, though, and they have no English and my Dutch is only sufficient to look at them sternly and say 'no no' -- not 'please let her play' or 'sorry, she doesn't seem to want to play with you right now...maybe later.'

So, I have been planning to get Eileen enrolled in the nursery school here. It seems like a great opportunity to get her truly fluent in Dutch. But, then I will have to re-train her both for visits home and for the move home, into what standards of behavior are expected in America.

No comments: