Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Whew....lots of work -- but Officer's Spouses' Club worth it

My friends. If you don't live as or with a member of the armed forces, you don't know what you have been missing. Sure we have lived 4 places in six years. And my three year old has had 3 homes on two continents. But, there is a built in community if you reach toward it. In the Netherlands, we had a Support Our Squadron group that was a great way to find other moms. A holiday party or many holiday parties. Here, I belong to both the Support Our Squadron and the Officer's Spouses' Club. I am a treasurer for both.

I have just returned from spending three days helping a lot of capable friends run a bazaar. We raised money for scholarships for locally assigned kids. We reached into the heart of the local community. I feel about 5.5 feet high (which for me is tall) and three days behind in sleep.

I am sorry for people who choose to hunker down and not reach for the community that exists for us on bases. I chose that for myself when we live in Colorado Springs. While I don't regret the friends I made there - the life I chose for myself there, I do regret the friends that I did not make.

No comments: