Thursday, March 26, 2009

Comfort foods in a distant land

Every culture has comfort foods. For me, a chicken broth with dumplings or noodles or matzos balls (or even Pho) works wonders on days like this, 46 and rainy outside and 103.5 inside (with babies running in circles).

The Dutch comfort foods tend to be hearty stews with meat and/or sausage, pancakes (which come with cheese, bacon, etc. cooked into them -- or various fruits -- see paragraph below), and white fish.

So, I am of course making Avago-Lemono soup (Greek Egg Lemon Soup).

More on Pancakes. Eileen and I joined a bunch of friends for pancake supper this past week. She and I split a pancake with cheese, leek, and pineapple (which was quite tasty!) and a strawberry sundae for dessert. I am already planning my next trip back there!

No comments: