Sunday, March 29, 2009

Doo Doo Doo Looking out my window

I have mentioned that sometimes see odd things out the windows of the house: e.g. the man on a bike pulling the pony along - or the bar-mobiles. Yesterday some sort of event happened. There were upwards of sixty bike riders, all dressed in warm orange coats, all with balloons tied to the back of their bikes. They road by my house toward town, then I saw them coming back by the house, then once more out past my house toward the windmill.

I have no idea who they were or what they were riding for. Perhaps it was a fund raiser. My friend Yvette mentioned that she had seen them at the local amusement park - Hemelrijk.

Orange is the color that people in the Netherlands wear to show nationalism (their flag, like the French and the British and many others -- including ours -- is Red, White, and Blue -- in fact their flag looks like a sideways version of France's (or perhaps France's is the one that is 90 degrees out of phase)). So, if you are watching a football match or the Olympics, most of the people supporting the Netherlands are wearing Orange and carrying the flag.

Anyway, it was 49 degrees and hailing and/or raining, so Eileen and I enjoyed watching from the living room window. Yeah for heat and a roof!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.vi.nl/NieuwsItem/OranjeMetKinderlijkGemakLangsSchotland.htm