Friday, August 14, 2009

My love of Dairy continues to grow

The other day Eileen and I met some friends in Eindhoven for lunch. I looked at the specials menu and saw a Belgian waffle with strawberries and whipped cream as a special. Now, I don't know if I have blogged about this, but Pancakes are a reasonable dinner here, sort of a flat crepe...they come sweet or savory. When we go for pancakes, Eileen often gets one with strawberries. So, I thought it would make a happy baby lunch.

Out came my smoked salmon and herbed cream cheese sandwich on a baguette and her lovely waffle.

My child ate about half my cream cheese and all of her whipped cream - except the tiny bit I tasted. Hoo boy...was that yummy. I think that most of the cows here are grass fed...and it comes out in all their dairy products. Butter, cheese, cream cheese, milk. So, it makes me wonder that most of my Dutch friends use diet margarine on their sandwiches.

In other news, I have figured out the bus system and the fact that in general, it isn't much cheaper than driving...but sometimes it is convenient not to have a car in places. The cheapest method of using the bus is to go to a grocery store, news stand, book store...and buy a multi-use pass (a stripkaart). Then you hop the bus, tell the driver where you want to get off, and s/he will mark your pass accordingly. Our closest bus stop is at the windmill -- about 1/4 mile from home. It will take us to Uden or to Eindhoven. I thought it would be fun...and allow me to interact with Eileen. It took about 1.75 times the amount of time hopping in the car and driving directly would...but made up for that by actually costing a bit more (if we had stayed longer, then it might have been cheaper since parking does cost in Eindhoven).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder if you can export some of this super tasty dairy to NM?

onthemove - klh said...

um...my guess is that that is technically illegal. I will ask my mail guy, though!

Anonymous said...

That day I spent 9 euros on parking underneath the Heuvel Galerie (mall) for approx four hours. So maybe the bus was cheaper! :)
-Meredith