Sunday, January 24, 2010

A weekend that reminded me...

I was once asked how I could possibly live in a small town (in this case, not the small town of Volkel). What could there possibly be to do there?

The answer is that even in small towns, you can have friends. If there is no place you want to eat out, you have your friends join you. You come up with unusual parties or themes or dinners. This is also true when you are poor and therefore can't afford to pay someone else to entertain you. Anyway, this weekend was a reminder of that.

Since Eric and I often go out on Saturday night (date night), it was a welcome change to have our home filled with friends for both Saturday night and Sunday. I have been lucky enough to have friends stop by for book club or play group -- but it is a rare pleasure to get to do that with Eric.

We had Thanksgiving in January at our house for some Dutch friends...followed by the 'oops -- wish we had baked these for Christmas' baking marathon with Eindhoven friends today -- though we opted for heart and flower cookie cutters, rather than Santa Claus.

I wouldn't have want to be so busy every weekend...and Eileen was kind of miffed that I was doing so much that really wasn't 2 year old related (she helped bake bread by glazing it and putting on sesame seeds -- and enjoyed the products of the baking day)....but it was a pleasure for a couple of days!! I do love seeing my friends. And, I really like entertaining with Eric.

2 comments:

Elfinowl said...

I wish you more such weekends in the future!

ColorSlut said...

Sounds like a great time!