Friday, April 2, 2010

still learning new things

So, I was with my good friend yesterday at an indoor play area. I have already noted that many children play rougher here than in the States. Yesterday, though, my friend explained that most people like us (parents with a 2 year old who are trying hard to teach manners early) would never take their tiny kids to a place like this (it was Hullie -- http://www.hullie.nl) or even let them use the indoor part of Hemelrijk because it really isn't monitored. The reason it looks like a scene from Lord of the Flies is not because of Dutch kids necessarily being more wild -- but rather the forum. Parents are encouraged to sit and relax while their kids play. So parents who are more interventionist just don't take their kids to places like that very often.

This of course makes it harder on me; though, as the weather starts to look a little better, I have more options. Eileen loves to play with other kids. My instincts that she could actually get hurt by the big kids are correct. But she needs some time to play hard and try to push her body. So, how to work it? Back to normal playgrounds with me sitting close by? That only works if it isn't 50 and rainy? Playgroups? We do them. Music? We do that. Dance? Yup. Swim? you get the picture....I am trolling for ideas!

No comments: