Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good Bye Again, so sorry that I'm leaving...

Well, gentle readers, we had a good bye party for Eric on Saturday night. Many Dutch and Americans came to wish us well and give us kind words and gifts. I couldn't believe how much thought was put into each gift -- from formal pens designed in France but imprinted with the Dutch Air Base logo, to a pewter plate with so many symbols on it that the person who usually does the etching actually commented, to a license plate with Eric's name and thoughtful messages from so many he has come to respect, to a tiled plaque with my name! (and lots of whiskey from my friend who knows what I drink). It was a night that was hard to say good bye.

Then today, there was a welcome to the lovely incoming spouse and a good bye for me. Again, so many thoughtful gifts including a photo book of our time here. I cannot recall the last time that I cried that I wasn't watching a chick flick...but it was a long time ago...and then today I actually did cry publicly. ACK! I didn't see too many flashes, but I hope that there are no bleary eyed photos of me lurking somewhere in cyber world.

Tomorrow is the change of command and a change of venue -- we will head to the airport hotel. I think it will be a good thing. But, I am heartsick leaving. So many things I wish I could have completed. In a lot of ways, I have actually done surprisingly well over the years -- making the most of the time and places I have lived. But, here, due to naps and Eric's long hours, I feel that I didn't even scratch the surface. Eric talks about 'when we come to visit.'  I certainly hope that we do come back.

1 comment:

ColorSlut said...

Sounds like such a lovely time. I do hope you guys return some day. Although we'll be happy to have you here in America :)