Thursday, October 30, 2008

Den Bosch

My new friend Ashra and I took the babies, Dieter (aged 1) and of course Eileen (9 months) to Den Bosch today. Or if you prefer S'Hertogenbosch. I found a gourmet shop and a coffee/tea emporium and a yummy lunch. Not a bad use of a couple of hours tiring out the offspring!

Den Bosch has canals that run under the building of the city. They only offer canal tours in the summer, but I am looking forward to taking one and seeing the underside of the town.

The town edifices are older than those of Uden and Eindhoven (which were both bombed during World War II). One difference between the towns that I have visited in the Netherlands and those that I have seen in Belgium is the fact that the town square is not surrounded by guild houses (the baker's guild house, the shoemaker's guild house, the banker's guild house etc.) That might be a function of the age of the towns. I want to go slower through Den Bosch soon, because the vestiges of the guild houses might still be there.

No comments: