Saturday, April 4, 2009

Scouts and Easter Flowers

My neighbors, specifically the buurvrouwen (the ladies of the neighborhood), have started doing flower arrangements twice a year together -- Easter and Christmas. So, Friday night I joined in arranging flowers. It was nice to actually understand a bit more than I did at Christmas, that said, most of the words that I recognized were not the ones with big impact (I recognized things like names, pronouns, definite and indefinite articles...an occasional verb). But, the flowers are lovely. They are in the laundry room, as that is somewhere Eileen can't reach them.

On our way back (at 10.30pm) from the neighbor's home, we found a bunch of 11 year old scouts roaming the neighborhood on some sort of treasure hunt. There was a candle signifying some sort of hint, clue, or token, right along the street. The kids were armed with a couple of flashlights. And they were about 1/4 mile from the scout house. But, it was something that I don't recall seeing even in our very safe suburbs growing up. Instead, I remember a similar scavenger/treasure hunt at night at O'Hare Field (back when you could go back to the gates, and when there were lockers in different wings and before the United Terminal 1 was built).

No comments: