Saturday, June 6, 2009

Return to the Netherlands and a Blog

We have spent two weeks in the US since I last posted. By we, I mean Eileen and me. Eric joined in for the last four days to see daughter number 1 happily wed to the father of her daughter. I enjoyed grandparent-a-looza part 1 2009, so thanks to everyone who joined us along the way!

Along the way, we had the ability to contemplate the kindness of strangers. Over the course of 6 flights, we were delayed by: 0 hrs, 26 hrs, 1.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs, 0 hrs, and 2 hrs. During those delays people helped me in various ways, whether watching the baby seat so that I could chase her in a play area, or hoisting my belongings (or occasionally baby and child seat) on my behalf, I must quote Tennessee Williams and state that I depended on the kindness of strangers.

On our return to the Netherlands, our good friend Sheila was visiting. A piece of her equipment was not working and we had to go to take it to be fixed. The young man that was working on the equipment spent at least an hour of his time on it, eventually figuring out that it was the charger, which he switched for one that they use as a diagnostic. He refused to charge for any of this or even take a tip. He used a very popular phrase here: no problem.

I have weaned Eileen and unpacked since our return...but not much else. I promise to try to write more soon!

3 comments:

ColorSlut said...

Sounds like a very fun trip. Are you happy to be home?

Rebecca Halley said...

I forgot you were going to be in the states. If you were in Chicago May 29-June 1 we had a close encounter :) Miss you!

onthemove - klh said...

I am happy to be home, since Wilbur needed some serious loving, but must say that I will be happier when Eric and I have more time together. We narrowly missed each other, Rebecca, I flew out of Chicago on the 24th.