Friday, September 19, 2008

Food Glorious Food

Today I had lunch with a girlfriend in Uden. You might be thinking, so what? You ate lunch with me all the time when you lived here. The big deal here is that I went out for lunch on the local economy (not in The Building -- or in the Dutch lunch room). I have done that a couple of other times, but thus far, never just to go into town and have lunch unless it was our weekly time out of the house for Eric and me (together). It seemed so much pricier here than in the States, plus, there is the making a fool of myself by not knowing the language factor. To be fair, I have gone for coffee with various friends and even with just Eileen....so maybe I am making a big deal of nothing. At the time, it certainly felt like an event...but then again, since I normally don't have caffeine, maybe that is just the caffeine talking (nice foreshadowing, eh?).

So, we went to the local tiny version of say Marshall Fields (am I dating myself?) or Jordan Marsh (am I dating myself?) and went to the terrace dining room and for 10 euro (which is really quite reasonable -- it's about $15 or so) we got cappucino and a bagel with lox. YUM!!! first bagel here. I guess I won't have to make them myself (which is good, the mixer is in storage). I am still patting my stomach (and Eileen's).
----

In other news, I found some rhubarb at the local grocery and made the best rhubarb struesel coffee cake ever. I found it as a muffin recipe at Epicurious, but they needed 1/2 cup sized muffin cups. Mine were 1/3 cup sized, so I either needed to adjust everything down a bit (hard to do with eggs, but not impossible) or try to find an equivalent pan. For the record, 12 muffins at 1/2 cup are about a 9 inch square baking pan!

No comments: