Monday, September 22, 2008

Urban Planning?

Eileen and I have explored many ways to travel between Volkel and Uden (the big town-- order of magnitude bigger than Volkel). I was speaking with a friend from the west yesterday. She has been here for four years and finds Europe sometimes difficult to navigate. She mentioned that she was used to cities laid out in a grid pattern. I started to warm to the subject of 'urban planning' as I think of it: Chicago after the fire. Then, I started to think about these old cities and how they were planned to confuse enemies trying to overrun them. So, I guess I was being biased - chaos can be urban planning.

In other news, NEVER throw money at the street artists in front of the Rijks museum. One of them had money thrown at him by an American yesterday; the artist then started a bellicose scene accusing all Americans of being rude, obnoxious, and secretly bringing nuclear things into his pristine country. I wonder whether the American had to pay extra for that (and if he somehow made it seem like: 1) he was bringing in something nuclear or 2) knew Condoleezza Rice personally, so could change foreign policy if he wanted. Moral: If you must give the artist money, put it gently in his hat (and only use Euros). I do find it curious in a country that irradiates much of its dairy -- (they call it shelf stabilized) that the word Nuclear is dirtier than The Sex Museum.

No comments: