Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in the Netherlands

As my loyal readers know, I am Jewish. But, just as Christmas is a national holiday in the US, it is more so here. Starting in early December. It seems to be ramping up and up (without the carols, though with the pop songs)...then 25 December comes, and we don't really see much. No caroling. The place is shut down.

We celebrated with lots of cheer at the squadron, feeding those that were working and those who didn't have another place to be for the holiday. It was amazing good fun to cook with my friends in the gigantic squadron kitchen. Eric fried a turkey (that is becoming his specialty). I made gravy and lots of noise. Eileen spent most of the day in my sling as I wandered and danced around. She explored long enough to clean the floors and dirty her outfit.

The second day of Christmas is celebrated here, so we are just now thinking about wandering off to town to recycle diapers and buy knitting supplies (not that Eileen knits yet).

No comments: