Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jews in the Netherlands

I had a lovely talk with the treasurer of the Liberal Jewish community in Amsterdam today. I might even go there for the High Holy Days.

She told me the following story: She was visitng friends around Thanksgiving in Florida. She went downstairs the next day and discovered both a Christmas tree and a Menorah. She told me that the Netherlands is similar except without the Menorah. That said, she sounded very welcoming, so perhaps I will have a Jewish home here -- merely 1.5 hours from our actual home. Happily, they have Saturday morning services, and Kabalat Shabat services only once a month each, so I will still be able to spend lots of time with my husband when he is actually home.

Other news for those who haven't heard elsewhere: Eileen is pulling herself up, climbing up on things when she has the opportunity, sitting, and growing teeth.

I will send a picture soon.

Eric and I ordered a bunch of maple syrup for gifts from a tiny maple farm. It arrived, and the farm owners are about to get a version of Flat and Sticky Stanley with their syrup visiting wind mills and wooden clogs...

No comments: