Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shoes

This post is for my good friend Christina and the rest of the Atomic Knitters.

Eric, Eileen, and I went to Helmond for dinner on Friday night. I have been watching what women wear here. Mostly they dress like people do in the States, except that the jeans are rarely blue, but otherwise pretty similar. I was expecting more spandex and micro-skirts like I remember from my time in Boston. But, just like in Boston, those are limited to the young who feel like showing off and the occasional older person who doesn't realize that she is over 50.

But, this post is supposedly about shoes. Let me say that I expected absolutely no cowboy boots -- so I am constantly surprised to see them on people. Additionally, I expected stiletto heels...and with the exception of some of those women dressed in micro skirts, I see sensible flats with an occasional pointy toed outlier everywhere I look. It is like the whole country shops at those comfort shoe places that I used to love: Echo, Arche, Naot, Reiker, Clarke, and then the occasional Chuck Taylor, Addidas, or Nike.

No comments: