Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The smallest inhabitants of our Netherlands home

Well;
I have been up for more than an hour with my allergies, so I thought that this would be a good time to slap mosquitos and blog.

Eric managed to entertain Eileen most of the night while I got the linen closet, or rather linen area in our giant storage closet, organized. I also managed to make up the guest room...except for a 40 watt lightbulb for the bedside lamp.

So, maybe I should mention the other creatures that we know are sharing our house with us. There are no poisonous anything here in the Netherlands....but our home is infested with many types of non-poisonous spiders (who never seem adept at keeping the mosquitos at bay). We sleep under mosquito netting. Eileen has two sets of netting in her room -- one on the daybed where I nurse her, and one over her crib. We have a giant canopy of mosquito netting over our bed. Eric found a single tiny field mouse in our bonus room (dead of course). We now leave that open and have Wilbur cat up there regularly...we think that the mice decamped for a field from whence they had come.

We know from the previous tenants that the spiders are here to stay....I actually have a spider towel and a vacuum cleaner that are regularly used in cleaning them out...they just keep coming back. We have hopes that the mosquitos are not likely to stay once the heat of summer is gone.

But, with all the wildlife and the smells from the neighboring farms, I feel like I am at summer camp.

That's it for now....

No comments: