Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pine, tinfoil, floral wire....sounds like 25 years to me!


Our neighbors across the street, Jan and Jolanda are celebrating 25 years of marriage. The actual anniversary is today. Last night, the neighbors (including us) gathered and made an arch. My friends Ani and her husband brought the pine trees and the greenery from their Christmas Tree field. Everyone made the tin foil roses (we think...we arrived in time to help tie the roses to the associated trees). Jan and Jolanda (and also Ani) have sold us eggs from their farm. They own the Belgian plow horse and her foal that live in the field adjacent to our house. Additionally, Eileen and I have visited some other lovely horses that also have foals and Belgian blue cows - many of whom are pregnant.

One of the things that strikes me about this land is that at least in the rural area where we live, they are much more public about celebrations that we usually are in the states. If you have a baby, it requires a large wooden sign. If you move in, or you are leaving, or you have a big anniversary, then the neighbors come and decorate and stay on for coffee.

Next Thursday, Eileen and I are going to visit my neighbor, Maryanne, for coffee in honor of her birthday. It would never occur to me to invite the neighbors over for something like that. I am glad that someone else had a birthday first. Now I know that it would be a handy thing to have the cake on hand in case someone shows up!

Perhaps, this is where I mention my observations about privacy and proximity. The average standoff distance for the Dutch in conversation or in driving is much closer than for most Americans not in a traffic jam. This means that parking spaces barely allow even European cars to open their doors. It also means that you need to stop stepping back in conversation -- this is just the Dutch way.

No comments: